Colours of Autumn


One of the things I love most about Japan, is the seasons. Unlike the Australian seasons of hot, warm, cooler and warm, again, Japan has snow, autumn leaves, and cherry blossoms. Japanese people LOVE seasons, and they also LOVE their food. My first few years in Japan I used to crave choc mint pino ice-creams, but they were only ever available in the summer. So annoying!! But then, I discovered the Belgian chocolate soft serve ice-cream at the mini stop convenience store, but disappointment set in once again when I discovered they were only available in the autumn. The list goes on. Even the restaurant menus change to utilize local and seasonal ingredients. But, I learned to embrace not just the snow and the leaves, and the sakura trees, but also the yummy food Japan has to offer. There is always something new and exciting to look forward to!

These are some shots from our late autumn road trip to Nikko, as well as Katori shrine, where my Japanese sister, Reiko lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment